I recently went for a hike with a longtime friend and colleague, Jami Fitzgerald, one of our chiropractors in Calistoga. When I asked her what she was doing to keep herself and her family healthy during these times, she said, “I take my Medi Herb Viral Tonic and I keep my body in parasympathetic dominance”.
MediHerb Viral Tonic:
Virus Tonic (compliments of Sharon Dittmer, DC in San Rafael)
- 80 ml St John’s Wort High Grade 1:2
- 60 ml Echinacea Premium 1:2
- 60 ml Licorice High Grade
All of the above will fit into a 200 ml liter bottle available at our local office. Of this combination, the suggested use is 5ml (1 teaspoon) 3 times per day
The Importance of Supporting the Parasympathetic Nervous System
The parasympathetic nervous system is responsible for our body’s rest, repair, decrease of heart rate and digestion responses. When our body is relaxed, resting, or feeding, it can help un-do the effects of the other side of our nervous system- the sympathetic (responsible for fight/flight) which typically goes into high gear after stressful events. If you feel like you just cannot calm the Sympathetic portion of your own nervous system down, here are some very useful choices:
To support the Parasympathetic, use 12 daily of Standard Process Drenamin. Important for over-taxed adrenals contains Cataplex G (eyelid twitching) and Cataplex C (the richest source of C complex are adrenals and mushrooms usually adrenals are depleted of vitamin C stores before an individual gets sick). I take at least 6 Drenamin daily.
Another personal favorite is the often dubbed “Magic Pill” of Standard Process Min-Chex. It receives a nearly perfect score with patient reviews and here’s why:
- Promotes tranquility and relieves anxiety & depression
- Addresses over activity of the sympathetic nervous system
- Prolonged high amounts of stress = derailed immune system
- Feelings of Helplessness (don’t know what to do) are commonly associated with high cortisol.
Herbs for Anxiety
- (1) Standard Process Min-Chex (every 15 minutes until the anxiety begins to abate. It may take a few hours, but most patients feel excellent by the end of the day. I’ve had outstanding feedback on this protocol.
- Lastly, rub a little bit of lavender essential oil in the palm of your hand and take a good whiff.
- Then enjoy the fresh air and motion of a good walk.
Remember, taking care of our body’s rest and repair responses is crucial for overall well-being. If you have any questions or would like to learn more, please don’t hesitate to reach out.
Keep calm and carry on,